Friday, September 03, 2004

CSS, DHTML, and Tabs

For work we are writing a thin-client application that uses tabs. We have been boggled in how we are going to do this. Looking at how others have done this we saw CSS, Tables, JavaScript, and a whole slew of different combonations of these. JavaScript was always involved, but some used only CSS, some used only Tables, some used both.

So far in playing with it, I haven't used one table and I have a nice look. One tag that helped with some of the groupings of fields was the
<fieldset>
tag. It creates a frame around the group of buttons, input objects, or plain ol' text. It creates a real nice effect.

At first I was using the CSS like you would a table. Thinking of the rows, but then another programmer said, "Hey..." He made me rethink how I was doing it. Now I'm using the positioning and reusing of classes. It's really nice! I think I'm going to have to redo my website and incorporate some CSS.

No comments: